Monday, January 25, 2010

W I T.......

About a week ago I was checking into a hotel and I must have this connection with valets. Being a former one I have a huge spot for them in my heart. Let’s face it people are very fond of their cars and entrusting them to a stranger can be a bit daunting. The first person to greet me at the hotel was one of the valets and he was full of energy. I thought this will be a good hotel if the staff was as energetic and friendly as he is. I proceed to check in, not I have been in town for already two hours so honestly I am friendly however a bit tired on this night. I handed the person working the desk my membership card and he sees how long I am going to be staying at the hotel was for almost two weeks and I proceed to say that yes he is correct but more like two months. I am then asked for a credit card for incidentals, I then say no worries there won’t be. Without blinking he now has to get the manager for the situation. I explained that normally we work long hours and well he does not need my credit card, well he still needed to get to the manager. Ok I am now a bit upset, tired from the trip and just need to get to my room. Long story short the manager will not let me check in without the credit card, I say fine and end of the story.

I was getting out of the car on Friday back at the hotel. The valet opened the door and I noticed on his uniform there was a ribbon on it with W I T on it. I had seen them on the staff but had not asked what it all meant. He said that it stood for “What IT Takes” meaning what does it take for us to make the customer happy. Ok I then told him that the front desk staff needs to pay better attention to that. Then today it kind of hit me like a Saints line men going after Brett Favre (little football humor). Are we following the W I T philosophy in our daily lives? Are we doing what it takes to succeed in life? What do you need to do make everyday a What It Takes kind of a day? Do you need to look at your goals again and ask are you doing what it takes to figure out the necessary steps to make them happen?

What it does take sometimes is maybe just a step back or a different view of our lives to figure things out. For me personally I like to mimic something that both Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein did and that was just to sleep on ideas. Other times a good walk or jog will help put things in a better perspective. What it takes for all of us to be successful is as simply just asking what I am willing to sacrifice to make “IT” happen.

I truly hope that you are working daily on your goals so you can do what it takes to move your life in a better direction. I am in the process of becoming a member of the National Speakers Association; so far I am maintaining my “B” average for school and most importantly have worked harder to spend more time with my son Connor. I know what it takes for me sometimes to make sacrifices to achieve my goals. I would enjoy hearing from you and letting all of us know what will it take for you to achieve your goals in life.

Now I know what it takes to tell a front desk person that they don’t need my credit card, one of my co-workers asked the manager a head of time to wave the policy for him and they did. All you have to do is ask, huh where have I heard that before?

1 comment:

  1. Great job Tommy!

    Currently working back in my home state full time. Give me a call bra.

    Cheers,

    DJ

    ReplyDelete