Monday, March 1, 2010

Please judge yourself but not me.

Please sit down I have to make a little bit of a confession. Now before I bare my soul about this minor incident you must first promise not to have disgust and have an open mind. We must pinky swear in order for us to move forward. I was in the hotel gym and I was just doing my normal rest period between moving from one exercise to the next. I noticed that figure skating was on and as a hockey fan I knew I had to look away and get back to my weight lifting. Then it happened, as I was looking away this skater fell. Not only did she fall but got right up in a split second. I was then curious to see how she would handle the rest of her routine. I was looking for body language or even just skating off and calling it a night. I was truly amazed that she finished her routine and still had a smile on her face when the routine was over.

We all have had times where we mentally fall down and just want to lay there, even if it is the middle of the street. I walk to the office everyday and see the homeless and just wonder to myself thinking “do they want to get back up? Or have they been so beat down that they are content with their status. I am fully aware that there are several who have mental issues. However when we do hit low points in our life it does take more energy to get back up on our feet VS just placing ourselves in a cocoon to shut off the world.

When I was watching this figure skater fall my first thought was all of those days training, the dedication to finally be on the world stage to have this happen in just a blink of an eye. Yesterday as I was rooting for the United States hockey team try and win a Gold medal and to fall short in over time. The same mental toughness that Olympic athletes go through is not any different between you and me. Think about your job and your daily grind to achieve your goal. Your goal could be collecting a pay check or working on a promotion. The extra hours you put in to write a proposal can equate to an athlete going through their daily training routine.

As I am writing this my mind starts to think of one of my favorite Denver Bronco players Ed McCaffery. He was a wide receiver who took many hits but what I admired about him was his ability to pop right up after a hit. Yes there were times when it took longer for him to get back up but his resiliency to me was amazing. My point to all of this is yes we are going to get knocked down or trip and fall to the ground. We just need to realize that yes we have hit a low but first to GET BACK UP. What does a bull rider do when he gets thrown from a bull? Get’s right back up and simply dust himself off.

The true test for you is going to be when a situation trips you to the ground but what will you do to get yourself back up. Last week I took a fall when I failed to turn in two school work assignments. I immediately advised my teacher that I will get the papers turned in and I did. Then my focus was not to let my mistake ruin my day and accept my grade. If that figure skater had focused on the fall I don’t think she would of popped back up. Just remember that when you do fall nobody is judging you like that figure skater so once you get up give yourself a “10.”

SHOUT OUT!!!!

Happy thoughts to my friend Patty C whose mother is sick.

A good friend of mine Tyrone is in the hospital so happy thoughts please.

No comments:

Post a Comment