Friday, March 19, 2010

Moving Forward

As I look over the cliff all I can see is very thick mist. Through the mist I barely can see trees popping out of the mist. The valley looks like hundreds of miles long, to far to even think about walking. When I look down from the edge again there is nothing to see through the mist of the trees and jungle. I don’t know what to do. My choices and there are several ways to look for a new path, well that is what I think. First choice to find a new path is to simple try and climb down. Second choice will to go a different direction but left or right? Third choice is to turn around and go back but how did I get here in the first place?

Turning around is NOT an option and if I do turn back my mind thinks about the homeless people I have been passing on my walk to work. I am scared that my life is going to take that path of a downward spiral. No I do not want to turn around and go back the way I just came from. Scratch this choice off the list.

The last time my journey brought me to a dead end some people said I was depressed. My feeling when I hear that is maybe there was just denial in me (I still think I could play in net for the Black Hawks). I think this time my situation is better and have a better support system then I did almost two years ago. Plus there are writing opportunities I want to explore with this time off such as trade magazines and growing my Twitter followers. In my mind as I continue looking over the cliff and seeing the green trees through the mist there is a calming sensation in my being.

What way do I need to go? Well does it really matter if I go left or right? I don’t think so, only because either direction is going to take me somewhere but where? There is truly no wrong way but what about climbing down the cliff? There is a chance that the path is actually closer then I can see through the mist. There is also the wait and see approach as well.

Here is what I do know though about this temporary situation. I have set goals for this year:

Ø I am going to get down to 175 pounds by June 1.
Ø I am going to maintain a “B” or better average for school.
Ø I am going to have a new job opportunity by March 15.
Ø I am going to have a waist size of 34” by June 1.
Ø I will post twice weekly to both of my Blogs on Monday’s and Friday’s.
Ø I am going to spend more time with Connor.
Ø I am going to get my bike fixed so I can ride with Connor.
Ø I am going to write a business plan by April 5.
Ø I will play hockey by the summer.
Ø I will take a cooking class.
Ø I will have something I wrote get published in a magazine.
Ø I am going to maintain my weight goals of 175 and 34” waist by December 31.
Ø I will take one of my mom’s yoga classes.
Ø I will look for a mentor to help me achieve becoming a speaker by January 31.
Ø I will try to put the past behind me.

Ok here is where I am at for the goals of 2010. I will be down to 175 it is going to take more hard work and better eating habits. The travel is ending so therefore I can start cooking for myself. I have had two classes and respectively A and B. I have not found a new job as of yet. The blog writing is very much fun and I have not worked as hard on it as I should. The Bodybuilding.com blog has been a hard one to write because of my failure at getting weight down, however I will start that one back up this weekend so please look for it. I have had some extra time with Connor and as of today being my last day on this job there will be plenty more time to spend with him. The business plan might come sooner then later with my time off. I have been in touch with some people about possibly playing hockey again so we will see. I am definitely looking into a cooking class during my time off. There are several trade magazines that I have thought about sending articles to. Connor and I will be taking a trip to see my mom in May and I will let you know about the yoga. I have been in touch with Jon Gordon a motivational speaker who I have written about in this blog so he has been a mentor to me. The last one, well I will need to get back to you on thatJ There you have a quick update on my goals. How are yours doing?

With these goals as a map to take me on this journey I feel confident that no matter what path I end up taking they will lead me to a positive place along with new experiences. With my eyes closed the picture in my mind I see myself walking away from the edge of the cliff and going around the valley to the path I need to find and then walk on to take me to where I need to be next. On a road trip many years ago with my very good friend Chris K, he would ask me at a stop “Left or Right?” I would say “Left” and he would go right. Well in my head I am going one way and this time I don’t have Chris or anyone to guide me except myself. Therefore this is the decision I have made so did I make the right one this time or not? Like I said, my confidence is high that I have but one thing is for sure there will be no turning back.

Very special SHOUT OUTS to a couple of people I am very proud to call them friends. These two individuals have taken the steps to quit smoking. Thank you Leslee and Zach for doing this not only for yourself but for the rest of us so we can stop nagging you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tommy!
    Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad I quit smoking too! Love the blog - I'm sure you will attain all of your goals! Take some time and enjoy being home spending time with Connor.
    Next time I get to Denver, I'll let you know.

    Is b-ball over yet? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't never did and never will.

    Finding that path is half of the battle and the best part is that you ARE the navigator and always have been! Backing up the path, ending or branching off that path is some times necessary to achieve the desired destination. The bumps and obstacles are going to happen but stay true to yourself and you will succeed.

    Life is all about balance. I believe a person should follow their passion after all as a good friend reminded me; “ this is not a dress rehearsal, this is your life”. I can honestly say that I do not know a single person who can say; “this is always what I thought life should be or I always knew my life would be this way”. Most of us at one time or another say; “you got to be kidding me! Right?” (Cleaned that up; never know who might read this. Lol) But it is those bumps, crashes, endings and beginnings that make the journey all worthwhile and mold us into the people that we are. I truly believe that every thing happens for a reason. The trick is to take those things and see them as for what they truly are just another step in the process. Take the lessons you have learned; dust yourself off for the next step in your journey. Life is what you make of it!

    I admire you for putting your journey out here for all of us to follow and to have opportunity to may be dust off and revisit some of our own maps.

    Enjoy and embrace your journey!

    ReplyDelete