Tuesday, May 25, 2010

SUCCESS IS THE ULTIMATE REVENGE

Last week I was at Connor’s awards/graduation ceremony, can not believe he is already done with First grade. I was sitting there waiting for the assembly to start and was thinking about my first week in the class I am currently in for school called “Communications of Theories and Practice.” I was actually thinking about quitting school all together and even today on msn.com there was an article of famous people who not only do not have their college degrees but some never even finished high school. I am having a tough time with this teacher for this class as well as the class it self. I know that this would be a bad idea and it was more of a passing thought and I know that this class will teach me more about communication. Still sitting there in the gym I looked up to see all of these college banners that the kids bring in to show the colleges their parents went to. That really motivated me to say a few choice words to myself and just move on, it is only a five week class. It is truly not to late to still accomplish your goals so do not think about ever quitting on yourself and do what ever it takes to achieve your goals.

I have not talked a lot lately about working out or physical fitness but it is so vital for your mental success and I need to relate a story about again not quitting and push through mental walls. I was invited to go on a hike and if you have ever gone on a hike here in Colorado there are several elements to deal with. I first need to talk about what type of preparation I needed to do for this hike because it has been several years since I have done one. You might of heard of a exercise program called P90X or if you have not I will explain. This workout is tough not only do you use weights but it is a bit fast paced workout as well. My good friend Patrick who runs our local recreation center has been my work out partner on P90X, but then a new challenge was created. Well one day Patrick sent me a text to ask if I wanted to do “Insanity?” This is another program that is well INSANE! The exercise workout for Insanity is pure cardiovascular so no use of weights at all. Well first off my friend Patrick has done several Triathlons and is also a pretty good runner oh and he was also one of the guys on the hike. The first day (again just doing cardio) of the Insanity DVD I could not keep up with the first ten minutes and that was just the warm up. Well that was almost two months ago and I am so grateful to Patrick of switching up our workout. The first hike I ever did again MANY years ago, I hit a wall and wanted to quit and I did not and that was back in the days I did not workout as much or at all. This hike was more of ok I have been working out and let me see what type of shape I am for this. We were on the trail by 8:30 AM and back to the truck at 3:55 PM and it was estimated that we ended up doing 13 miles, and it would have been less but we took a wrong turn. That was no big deal because I really did feel so good not just physically but mentally, I never hit a mental wall. What a great experience of battling the elements and yes I do mean the weather. Not only were there parts of the hike with wind but SNOW, yes the white fluffy stuff, oh and it was sunny when it was coming down with the white flakes. I can not tell you what it meant to see the truck and know that YES I can do….. Guess what? You can as well.

Here is my learning opportunity I want to share with you and I think in my personal opinion is vital to your well being: SUCCESS IS THE ULTIMATE REVENGE. I truly mean this because, don’t you feel great when you get a compliment on a task you have worked hard at and someone let’s you know you did a great job? For me I have not felt successful because my weight has not dropped off as quickly I have wanted it to, but the hike turns out was my revenge towards the sweat and pain of getting into better shape day after day. I want you to think about being that much more successful in your everyday life and turn it into the revenge of the doubters who in the past have said negative things about your ability or skills. I am going to have my revenge with this current teacher with simply passing the class and proving to myself that I can achieve school even when we all hit our mental brick walls. With any type of wall we can go through it, go around it, or even over it but it is not going to stop us from being successful. Find your passion, do what you should be doing, and do not listen to the naysayers because: SUCCESS IS THE ULTIMATE REVENGE.

GO CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS AND BRING HOME THE CUP!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Tommy! You sound really healthy and I must say you look wonderful darling!
    I hope you and Connor have a great trip together!
    Say hi to your mom!

    ReplyDelete