Friday, April 30, 2010

Tips to help out with daily job search

I was playing phone tag today with not only a great human being, a mentor, and a very good friend of mine named Ed. He was telling me that he is still working in NY but it will be coming to a close because of the project he is currently on. I was on the same project before I jumped ship. Anyway I was very sad to hear that he will be out of work like many of us but it really got me thinking (well one I had not showered yet) of maybe expressing what I do during my day that might help you get through job searching. I hope these tips will help and maybe even if you are currently working you could use these as well or possibly pass them on. These are in no particular order but more of guidelines.

I can not tell you that to me the most vital tip I can give you is physical fitness. I am currently workout six days a week and sometimes twice a day. Now please do not go to that extreme, I just like to get out of the house. Sometimes my second workout is a simple walk or a bike ride. However create a routine and write down your workouts on a calendar. Please try and set goals as well.


We just talked about writing down your workouts on a calendar well do the same for your day. We all need some type of structure so create how you want your day to go. For example I am in the gym by 5:30 AM (yes in the morning) and usually home by 7:30 AM. I then make breakfast and do not power on my laptop until I am done eating. I also set a time when I power off my computer because I do not want to be tied to it, so by 7 PM I shut it down.

I would highly recommend dropping financial things you currently do not need. To some of you there is the thought of “DUH” however I just need to mention it. I looked at my cell phone and changed my plan to save money. I have not had any cable/satellite so that is one financial that I do not incur. I watch a lot of DVD’S/VHS movies.

This is a great time to really re-invent you as well. Dig deep in your soul and ask “What is my true passion?” Is this the opportunity to go after that goal you have always wanted to try?

Since January of this year I am working on finishing up my degree. If you have yours maybe do you want to go for your masters? There are also certificate programs you can look into for example maybe project management or becoming a personal trainer.

Nothing is permanent. Please remember that this situation is just a bump in the road and you will be working. Along with that keeping a positive mind is SO vital.

Get out and have coffee with a friend who might be in the same situation as you. I have a great friend Denise who is also someone I consider as a mentor. She has been out of work close to a year and we had coffee a couple of weeks ago. Not only could we simple vent to each other but exchange ideas of job hunting.

I have through the years collected business cards. I have gone through these cards and sent emails to contacts. I have received responses back, not from all I have emailed but it keeps your name out there in case they hear something.

I know to some this is going to sound “hokey” but I firmly believe this is a necessary tool for everyday life. I watch several times a week the documentary “The Secret” and I learn something new every time I watch it. For example I did not know there were bloopers on the DVD. Who knew? Not me.

What the heck how about creating your own blog? Maybe even a video blog? Being creative will help produce other thoughts that you might not have thought about in your job search. I am even learning how to write proposals for speaking engagements.

Read books or magazines that not only keep your interest but help you stay focused. I broke down and subscribed to Success Magazine. The very cool thing to me about Success is that with every issue it comes with a CD of the people who were interviewed for that particular issue. The current issue has Jillian Michaels on the cover who is one of the personal trainers with the TV show “Biggest Loser.” If you have read my blog before I also recommended the book “Get Hired Fast” by Brian Graham. This is a great book to help with the job search and different ideas to get interviews.

Stay focused on house chores. The little things to stay on top of like; laundry, vacuum, and the dishes. I make my bed everyday because this was a habit I did while I was working and it makes me feel good.

I have several comedies I watch just to laugh. I will watch stuff like; Ron White (who will be here on May 15), Jeff Dunham (Walter is my favorite) and a concert DVD of “Blueman Group.” If you have never heard of these people look them up and get their stuff (what else are your going to watch?). I have Blueman on right now.

I have spent time at the school that my son Connor attends as a volunteer. That is a lot of fun and I get to see him in his own world. My point here is to volunteer your time and you never know who you might meet?

My first week out of work was very hard (this is week five) and knowing I needed to create a daily routine was something to me that was very important. If you feel that maybe you are getting depressed (it is natural) seek some type of help. This is not an easy time but I have stated that you need to stay positive and remember that when you get an interview (or several) and they do not hire you. That is that companies failure not yours. I can not emphasis the importance of happy thoughts.

Thank you for reading this blog, and I have also created another one about being a divorced dad. Please go and visit beingconnorsdad.blogspot.com. Again thank you for all of your support during my time of also job searching. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you as well. Finally I have received emails from friends asking how they can find out when my newest blogs come out. Well if you have a Twitter account you will locate me at: motivationbytdm or just ask me.

2 comments: