Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I lost my moose

As I am standing in the alleyway between of the row of garages at my house or as we now call it the “rink” I am having a “HUH” moment? You see I had just tried to score a long range goal and totally missed so my poor son Connor had to go and chase down the ball. While he was running to get the ball his friend Shay who also is seven turns to me and says “you are loosing your moose.” So this is where I am having my “HUH” moment. I am running all of the data in my head of trying to figure out what he means by losing my moose? I had to ask “Shay what do you mean I lost my moose?” He said “you know trying to score a goal by running quick and scoring.” I said to him “do you mean I have lost my moves?” He said “ya your moose” ok he did try and say moves but to me it sounded like moose.

Then as this week slowly comes to a close towards the weekend for some, and others who are struggling to find employment unfortunately everyday is a weekend. I started to think that I have no “moves” when it comes to job searching. I think there has to be a better way. In past blogs I have told you about the book “Get Hired Fast” by Brian Graham and his book talks about not cold calling companies but to research the company. Then call the company directly because as many of realize our resumes go well I do not know where they go. I think of a “South Park” episode of the underwear gnomes and how they would steal underwear and take it to their caves. I think that is where our resumes go to. Maybe, just maybe our resumes are actually touched by human hands but only because they have either a bird or a new puppy (if you know what I mean).

How do we get our “Moves” back? Ok here is what I truly believe that will help all of us. Sometimes we have to admit when we are wrong and I will 100% admit I was wrong about yoga. HUH? Yes this has really helped me with my anger at times. I have an article if you want me to send it to you about yoga and depression please let me know if you want me to send it to you (hockeybra@yahoo.com). Next to help with our “moves” find a group to belong to either near your house or even one on the internet. I belong to a couple of groups through my LinkedIn account. Last thing to get the “moves” back volunteer someplace. I have been spending time at my son Connor’s school as what they call “Watch Dog.” This is meant for dad’s to be involved with their kids at school. I get to spend time in different classrooms and even get to participate in P.E. The last time I was there I taught a girl how to throw a football after she said she could not do it.

There you go with three ways we all can help get our “moves” back. First try yoga and it is not easy but it is a great way to exercise as well as to clear your mind. Studies do show that we can be very creative during physical exercise by generating ideas. Second find a group that you can be apart of either in a physical location or virtual. A website that I have started to use that has groups is sparkspeople.com and it is to help with weight loss support. However there are several different groups that there are out there on sparspeople (plus I blog on it). Last get out and volunteer someplace that you can enjoy. I am no math person but I was able to help some of the kids in Connor’s class yesterday with math issues. The best part was they were able to get the answer correct and I learned as well.

This week sometime Yahoo had an article about the economy is starting to come back. Well the last time I checked the unemployment rate was still at 9.7 but there does seem to be some signs that it is getting better with people spending a little bit more out there. With that being said yes it is going to take time for many of us to find a decent paying job but we need to stay positive and focused on our daily goals. For example my daily goal is to research and write three introductions so I can call a company to try and get an interview. Does this daily goal get achieved everyday? Well honestly no it does not. Remember only you can look at yourself in the mirror everyday meaning did you give your best today to get your “Moose” back?

No comments:

Post a Comment